Sunday 8 July 2007

Shakespeare Sunday??

What a way to spend sunday: wake at noon to a delicious breakfast made by Director Boy. The new edition of Vogue to peruse. We made a Gingerbread house, and at 4:00pm treated to some open air Shakespeare in the rookery on Streatham Common.

I am ashamed to say we left at the interval. The second show this year I have walked out of. My defense to the first is that I was drunk. My defense to the second, that I still have both sanity and integrity. I am appalled to say that it was the worse production I have seen this year!! So bad that I am prepared to retract my previous opinions, and announce to the world that 'Beauty and the Beast' was amazing* and that Northern Broadsides are the best Shakespeare company that could ever tread the boards**.

I have no more to say on the subject.

Only that to emphasise how bad it was, it was Director Boy who decided we should leave.



* It was not.
** It most certainly isn't!

3 comments:

Nic said...

i thought you argued it was a chocolate cookie house...

Corinne said...

I like Northern Broadsides!

I think outdoor Shakespeare is often a recipe for diaster - the worst production I have ever seen was an outdoor one of Twelfth Night [so bad that this occurred almost four years ago and I still remember it acutely]. I did stay until the end though. ;-)

Anonymous said...

About a Kenneth Burke (on Shakespeare):

http://www.parlorpress.com/shakespeare.html